The Discovery Channel has been warning us for months: Shark Week is coming! Seriously, I think I started seeing commercial for it starting in April. Did you know that Shark Week is television’s longest running summer event?
Mabel’s Labels has some cute shark themed labels to help you keep track of your child’s belongings. They make labels that can be used to label your child’s back pack, shoes, clothes, or school supplies. Mabel’s Labels even makes 411 bracelets and household labels!
Got a shark-loving fan in the house? Here are some fun facts about sharks:
- Sharks can be fussy eaters. Sometimes they will take a bite out of their prey or just sink their teeth in to get a taste before they start really feeding. If they don’t like the taste, they spit it out and move on.
- Like many creatures, including humans, sharks have a large heart with four separate chambers.
- Blue Sharks are the fastest sharks, reaching speeds of 43 mph, but only in short bursts. Their normal speed is 7 mph.
- Experts believe that the whale shark may be capable of living up to 150 years, making it one of the longest-living creatures on Earth.
- A shark’s skeleton is made of rubbery cartilage, like the tip of our noses.
- A shark attack on a human usually occurs in less than 6 feet 6 inches of calm water, and within a relatively short distance from shore.
- Swell sharks received their name from their ability to swallow water and swelling up themselves to appear larger in the eyes of predators.
- The hammerhead shark has the best sense of smell.
- Shark meat has an unpopular image as food, so fish markets and chefs change the name of shark meat to rock salmon, rock eel, huss or flake.
I still really love the personalized name stickers I got for G last year. They’ve survived a year of toddler-hood and many, many runs through the dishwasher, but you wouldn’t be able to tell by looking at them! I’m going to give the Mabel’s Labels clothing labels a try since I have to label G’s coats, hats, and gloves this year (I failed to last year and one of his favorite hats got lost at school).
And don’t forget, Mabel’s Labels offers free shipping on all US orders!