Disclaimer: I received a complimentary LipSense color and gloss in exchange for this review. All opinions are my own.
I’m not a big makeup user, but I have been trying to find a lip product that lasts more than a couple of hours for a while now. It’s a little disappointing when I’ve made up my face for a fun event and within moments everything looks great except my lips. I’ve tried a couple lip stains that boasted long-wear but found they didn’t really live up to their hype.
Lipsense is a liquid lip color that boasts a 4-18 hour wear, and I’ll be honest — I was really skeptical about trying it because nothing else I had tried lived up to my expectations. I have friends who rave about LIpSense but it always sounded too good to be true. I didn’t want to spend money on something that wasn’t going to work.
So when Sonya of Red Gate Beauty reached out to see if there were any bloggers willing to give LipSense a try for a review, I jumped at the chance. I felt this was my opportunity to really give it an honest shot.
I chose the Caramel Apple color and Glossy gloss. When they arrived, I challenged myself to only use LipSense products on my lips for two weeks. This wasn’t as easy as I thought it would be. There’s a process to applying LipSense, which takes some getting used to.
- Clean and dry lips.
- Shake the bottle of lip color.
- I was told to apply three separate layers — allowing them to dry 10 seconds between.
- Keep your mouth open and do not touch your lips or talk! This was hard with two kids running around. People talk about a “tingle” when they apply LipSense but for me it was more of a sting. Especially at first because my lips needed exfoliating. It has gotten better the more I use the product.
- Do not swipe the applicator back and forth when applying color. WAIT for each layer to dry before reapplying color. This was a hard habit to break because I’m used to wearing glosses that allow me to swipe and go.
- Use OOPS Remover to fix little mistakes when applying.
- Apply at least 5 seconds after you apply your last layer of color. If you allowed enough drying time, you shouldn’t see any color on the applicator. This blew my mind the first time I tried LipSense out! The gloss is what seals the color and moisturizes your lips.
- Reapply before meals and throughout the day for longer-lasting color.
The first time I applied LipSense, I ran a 5K. Despite drinking water and rubbing my face due to a runny nose, my color stayed. I applied a little gloss after I crossed the finish line and my lips looked like they did pre-race. Woah!
About an hour after the race, I ate breakfast (an egg and bacon croissant, YUM). The color started wiping off on my napkin and I thought, Ha, this really isn’t as great as people say! But after some reading, I learned greasy foods can wear down color faster. A way to keep that from happening is applying gloss before eating and drinking. Once I learned that tip, there was a big improvement in how well my color stayed during meals.
Why doesn’t my color last 18 hours?
If a product boasts 18 hours of wear time, you kind of expect it, right? I’ve actually learned a few things as to why your LipSense might not last more than a few hours:
- Your lips need to exfoliate. This was a biggie for me at first and it took about a week for the worst of the process to be over. Using only LipSense for two weeks and glossing at night after my shower definitely made a difference in how my lips felt and my color began to last a little longer.
- As I learned (the hard way), certain foods can wear down color. Glossing prior to eating and drinking helps keep the color on your lips and off your napkin.
- A handful of reps have mentioned that different colors last longer than others. I’ve heard reds fade faster. (This tip is not specifically related to LipSense; I’ve heard it about other lip products as well.)
So? Does LipSense live up to the hype:
In a word: YES!
The big thing was sticking with the product for two weeks to really start seeing what my friends raved about.
I don’t necessarily need something that will last 18 hours (I’m not even sure I’m awake that long??). I’m good with a product lasting long enough to get through Date Night or a social event and I definitely feel the LipSense colors I’ve tried do that. I’m in LOVE with the Caramel Apple and that’s been my daily go-to. When I remember to reapply the gloss throughout the day, I can get a good 6-8 hours out of my colors. That’s a huge improvement over the one, maybe two, hours I got with my other lip stains and glosses. And now that I’ve been using only LipSense for two weeks, my lips are smoother. So, yeah, I’m putting this in a WORTH IT category. I definitely see why people are obsessed with it now!
A Few Helpful LipSense Tips:
- Always keep LipSense products at room temperature.
- Keep your gloss handy and reapply throughout the day to keep your color lasting longer. THIS is what comes off when you drink, eat, kiss, whatever, so reapplying your gloss throughout the day is a must. I find myself glossing every 3-4 hours.
- Certain colors last longer than others. You may need to reapply color at some point during the day.
- Neutrogena bar soap (the yellow, original unscented one) or Castille soap can be used to take your color off at the end of the day. Definitely more cost-effective than relying on OOPS!
Are you ready to give LipSense a try, or are you looking to add to your collection? Sonya of Red Gate Beauty is offering a 15% discount for you all! Just use coupon code bloggymoms15 at checkout!
Do you use LipSense? What other tips do you have for someone trying it for the first time?