I have finally gotten around to finishing L’s growth chart ruler. It’s only been on my to-do list for an entire year.
I bought the materials and Mr Boots stained the plywood back in November-ish when I was still pregnant, but one thing came up and then another and next thing I knew it was the end of January and I was giving birth to L. The stained piece of wood hung naked on the wall in L’s room until now.
These are the supplies I used to make my growth chart rulers:
- 6′ piece of wood (I got one that was already smooth so I didn’t have to sand it first)
- Wood stain (I used Minwax Wood Finish in Golden Pecan 245)
- Tape measure
- Paint pen
- Wooden numbers (I bought mine at AC Moore)
- Gorilla Glue
Like I mentioned, Mr Boots stained the wood for me. He did two or thee coats to get the color I liked. After the stain dried, he attached the D-ring for me. I opted to use the D-ring to hang the ruler so we could take it off the wall to measure L.
I took a pencil and the tape measure and made a little mark at each inch line. Then I took G’s growth chart ruler and laid it next to L’s so I could keep track of line lengths. Using the paint pen and ruler I drew the black lines. I wanted to make the chart look similar to an actual ruler so I made my lines different lengths:
- Each inch line was 1″ long
- Each half foot line was 2″ long
- Each foot line was 3″ long
Then I got to gluing!
I stood back, admiring my handiwork, and realized something didn’t look right with the “6”. I stood over the rulers, comparing each of them with the other, for about five minutes before I saw the error.
I glued the “6” on backwards.
Luckily the glue hadn’t dried and I was able to take it off, wash off the “6” and wipe away the glue left on the ruler, and re-glue it the correct way.
I let the glue dry through the afternoon and hung the growth chart up before I put L to bed. I can’t wait to start marking his height!