For our anniversary in 2014, Mr Boots and I dropped the boys off at their grandparents’ house and spent the day eating out and shopping for things we really had no business buying. Things like mattresses, patio umbrellas, and a wooden chest I found at our local Habitat for Humanity for $40.
This gem sat in our garage for about six months. I needed to wait for the weather to get warmer and, well, it was hard to find time to work on something like this between L’s schedule and G’s. But finally! Finally this past spring I found the time to start removing the awful puke yellow paint and sand it down. I was totally disappointed to find that only the legs were solid wood. The rest was that awful particle board.
Paint remover seemed to melt the particle board away, so as a Mother’s Day present my parents gifted me an electric sander. I love the sander, but for this particular project it didn’t do much other than smooth the spots where the previous owner tried some shabby chic techniques (there was SO MUCH PAINT on this thing), so I decided I would save myself a headache and paint over everything.
I knew I was going to use the leftover Rust-Oleum Oil Rubbed Bronze paint I had from my Thrift Store Mirror makeover, but I wanted a bright color for the inside. Not wanting to spend money on a can of paint I’d only use a portion of, I decided to use a bright magenta spray paint for the inside.
The spray paint soaked into the exposed particle board. In hind sight, I don’t know why I didn’t think it would. I still had the can of primer I used for the mirror, so I painted the entire chest with one coat of primer, bought another can of spray paint, and sprayed the inside of the chest and its lid with the magenta paint. The primer did a great job of preventing the spray paint from being soaked into the particle board.
I bought the spray paint to save time, but it didn’t go on evenly. Even after 2-3 coats you can still see thicker spots depending on how you look at the lid. Lesson learned: for a cleaner, more professional look BUY THE CAN OF PAINT.
Once the inside of the chest was dry, I painted outside with 2 coats of the oil rubbed bronze paint, just like I did with my mirror. I found that Purdy brush had worked the best.
Mr Boots wanted this out of the garage so I didn’t touch up the underside of the lid which got some brown paint on it, or the small spot where the paint chipped when I attempted to put the lid back on myself. Like I said, this was for personal use only and with two little boys and being clumsy myself, I knew trying to make it perfect (and keeping it that way) would be a lost cause.
I am happy with it though! I decided to put it in a corner of my bedroom. Now I have something to store pillows, sheets, and blankets. And my Clean Laundry Pile is not longer on the floor. It’s on top of the chest 😉
I found this chest at my local Habitat For Humanity store. Click here find the store closest to you. These are the materials and tools I used to do this makeover: