I’ve seen several birthday interview templates on Pinterest and have been itching to start this tradition with G. I had hoped two would be a good age to start, but he wasn’t ready. Three was definitely a better age.
I created my own template using Canva (I love this site!). I wanted questions that wouldn’t be hard for a three year old to answer, but wouldn’t sound too babyish to an older child. I printed it out on card stock in hopes of making it last. The color ink was low in my printer, so what was supposed to be blue and green turned out pink and brown. Better luck with that next year.
G’s three, so interviewing him took a bit of time and patience. In between getting side tracked by interesting bits of the TV show we were watching, getting upset with L for playing with his stuff, and a potty break trying to keep G focused wasn’t easy. This interview took about 45 minutes. Also, because he’s three, G’s answers differed every time he was asked a question. He gave different answers when I tried making a video interview later on in the day and when Mr. Boots asked him a few of the questions later that night. I wish that the video had worked out, but he wanted nothing to do with being video taped despite my best efforts.
Some of my favorite responses:
- What are you afraid of? Points to a Wiggle on TV dressed as Frankenstein, “Just that guy.”
- What is your favorite book? Ninja Turtle one. (We don’t have a Ninja Turtle one).
- What is your favorite color? Green like the Ninja Turtles. Green like Percy!
- How old are you? Bigger! Bigger! (this was also his answer for “What do you want to be when you grow up?”)
- What is your favorite food? Sandwiches. I not like sandwich. Pancakes!
It was so much fun interviewing G. My favorite part was asking him to sign his name at the bottom. I can’t wait to see how his signature changes each year as he learns how to write!
I had so much fun with this, I decided to share my birthday interview template with you. This is for personal use only. Please link back to this post when sharing it with others. Thanks!